Skip to main content

Rock and Roll Remixed, and re-hashed

Rock and roll's influence is still present today, and some of it can be found in the most unlikely places.


Recently I was at a gay bar in the Castro with a good friend of mine. I was feeling low and really needing to get out. Even though I don't drink and bars aren't my scene, I was happy to be outside of the house. Immediately upon entry I notice the blaring electronic music. The kind where you have to hold your hand to the other persons ear and yell for them to hear it. Not conducive to talking, emphasis on the dancing. I don't really dance to music like that, so I was camped out at the bar.

Wasn't really digging the tunes, cause let's face it...I'm a rock and roller. While I say I appreciate all music (which is true) my favorite has been established and I am biased. I suddenly paused, realizing I knew these lyrics. Pretty quick I figured out this was an electronic remix of Supertramp's "The Logical Song." Maybe it wasn't so much a remix, but the lyrics were totally from that song...line for line. I looked around, seeing all the happy gay boys bust a move. They all looked to be about my age or younger. I wondered if they even knew who Supertramp was. Yes, I wonder things like that.


I have mixed feelings about songs like this. I will use Vanilla Ice's beat rip off from Queen and Bowie's "Under Pressure" as a great example. I don't so much have a problem with the sampling of a song. I am well aware that all music is related and spawned from another type. But I do have a problem when the sample is more popular than the original. If I started to sing the opening beat "Doo doo doo d-d-doo doo" before I even got to the next note people would be saying "Ice Ice Baby." I've seen it happen. Vanilla Ice himself said that his song "was totally different" because "it had that little bitty ting." He's right, there's that itty-bitty ting. That's the only difference between the beat in each song. Vanilla Ice took a cool rock song and rapped over it and added one extra beat. Not only that, he never gave Queen and Bowie credit or royalties...until he had to. Nice try Ice.


This song also brought up another thought in my head; if rock and roll is so "old and irrelevant" why is it being referenced all the time? Why does Harry Styles wear a Ramones shirt? Why did Vanilla Ice sample Queen & Bowie? Why did this chick use the lyrics from "The Logical Song"? Because rock and roll is still relevant. That is why Run DMC merging with Aerosmith for the sub-genre 'rap rock' song "Walk this way" worked so well. The rock and roll sound not only exists in great contemporary bands like The Black Keys, it seeps through pop music that isn't even "rock like" at all, like Lady Gaga. She openly admits to being influenced by Bowie, and did the song "You and I" with Brian May on guitar.

I hear the question all the time "In blank amount of years will people still be taking about blank band?"


Obviously the artists mashing up, sampling and re-mixing these songs must have some sort of appreciation for the original track or the original artist. That's why they used it in the first place; because they liked it. We are influenced by what we like: it's that simple. And you know what, even if they didn't like it and they purely just ripped it off: they did that because it's already good, it's already a winning formula. These days its getting to the point where rock isn't so much referenced but ripped off. That's where I get upset. Like in my example with One Direction's Harry Styles wearing a Ramones shirt. I haven't done any looking into it, in fact I'm embarrassed I even know his name....but that kid is no Ramones fan. He's got to be wearing it as a fashion statement, which is all wrong. If he's actually a fan then I apologize, but I highly doubt it.


This is why I don't mind Justin Bieber so much. He just makes shitty pop music, he doesn't wear Ramones and Beatles shirts. Ultimately I don't worry about either of these temporary pop bands because they wont be around for long. People like me in these times pretty much just need to grin and bear it, and turn the music up louder. Lou Reed, Joan Jett, and lots of other amazing rock artists are still touring...and selling out shows. They are still releasing new material, most are compilations and even that out sells these pop boy bands. They are a flash in the pan that every single one of these girls will out grow.



Music with integrity stands the test of time, it sticks around. This can really only be proven by the passage of time. The Beatles are timeless, rock and roll is timeless because rock and roll is real emotion, and we all experience emotions. Their songs are about falling in love, losing love, experiencing drugs, and longing for yesterday. Human beings create music as a symptom of, or coping mechanism for pain and joy. That intern helps ourselves, and if we are lucky others to cope with their pain or relate to the joy they are feeling. Part of being human is feeling totally alone, when in reality we all feel that way (some more than others). One of the main messages I have gotten from rock music is that I am not alone. There's a lot of other people out there who are like me, like the same things I do, and feel a lot of the same emotions I feel. That's what we all have in common, and that will never change. In my opinion, that is why rock and roll is still relevant.

I ask you: In 20 years will people be talking about One Direction, or The Beatles?
The Answer is DEFINITELY The Beatles.

Comments

Infozla said…
Vanilla Ice is a great American rapper. He has a very humble and down to earth personality. His daughter dusti rain van winkle is also doing great as a social media celebrity. Thank for sharing this informative article with us for free.
Keep it !

Popular posts from this blog

What happened to Hot Topic?

You got it wrong. It goes 'sex, drugs and rock n roll'  Hot Topic emerged when I was just starting my Freshman year in high school. Growing up in suburbia sucked for a lot of reasons. One big reason being that there really were not any record stores, rock t-shirt shops or head shops in the area. I actually made my own rock t shirts for years, using stencils to spell out things like "The Beatles" and t-shirt iron-ons. You had to get creative and in many ways it was teenage DIY at it's best.  I was introduced to Hot Topic the same way every bored suburban kid did...by going to the mall. When you live in the suburbs, all there really is to do is to visit the mall. And I did a lot of that in my youth. When I discovered Hot Topic I was pretty pleased and I could finally find shirts that said "Blondie" or "The Ramones" on it and I didn't have to make it myself. I was excited to find a store that sold so much of what I liked.  Not long

Music posers

Ever see a girl in a rock t shirt who just doesn't look like she knows who they are? Have you ever been out in public, and spotted a person wearing a rock and roll t-shirt? Every time I do, which is if they're 12 feet or less away, I have to say something about it. That something would be "Yay! I love (insert band)! What's your favorite album?" Well, sometimes when I ask that question, I get a response I don't expect... *Blank expression* "I'm not really a fan of (insert band), I just like the shirt." My heart sinks. And then I want to punch them. This happened just yesterday. I was visiting my local pot club ( Berkeley Patients Group , woop woop) and I immediately spotted a girl wearing a Beatles shirt. I shouldn't even have to inform you how much I love rock music, so I can't help but mention it. I also feel like this is an obvious potential friend! I said to her "Yea the Beatles rock! Niiice!" And sh

We need to talk about this: The Foo Fighters are "AIDS denialists"

Preface: I am a fan of the Foo Fighters' music, so this isn't intended to be a hit piece. I genuinely feel troubled by what I'm about to share with you in this blog entry. I had no idea about this until just days ago.  Recently I saw a video that addressed celebrities with controversial beliefs. The one that stood out to me was Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters being "AIDS denialists" (which I didn't even know was a thing?) aka "HIV Truthers". I immediately had to look into this because it sounded just too crazy to be real (and you should ALWAYS be skeptical of things you hear and do. your. research.) An article that I felt was very thorough on the topic was " Foo Fighters, HIV Deniers " "Maggiore’s message has apparently penetrated the minds of at least some Foo aficionados. She says she has heard from many Foo fans since the show — one of whom, she says, now works at the Alive and Well office.  “AIDS is a toxic disease caused