Skip to main content

Bite The Dust bash aftermath!


As of January 19th 2014 Bite-the-dust.com has been around for 11 years! We through our first bash this year at The Grease Diner, an awesome art gallery and screen printing shop. It was also my 29th birthday! I spent about a day preparing the "Galactic Goodies" which consisted of Wookiee Cookies, Yoda Soda, and more recipes from my Star Wars cook books. I adapted some of the recipes, making the cupcakes tie-dye. I also had a table up of my BTD merchandise, guitar pick earrings and jewelry. I sold a few pieces that night which was a neat surprise! We opened the night with setting up chatting and munching on the desserts. At about 7:00 Emily Jayne hit the stage with a cover of The Ramones "Needles and Pins." She also included her songs "Your Toy" and "Astroplane." EJ also made me super happy by playing Joan Jett's "Bad Reputation."

 After than we did a bunch of screen printing, making black and white t-shirts and tote bags. Next up was The Jean Genies who opened with "Ziggy Stardust" once again nailing all the Ziggy hits. And they were still able to do this with half a band (Geoff, Mike and Andrea), which we had due to space/availability. I knew they could make it happen and they definitely did bring it. I couldn't be happier with rock n roll, Joan Jett, Ramones and David Bowie music. We had the live streaming going for the bash, which was a great idea in retrospect because I can share the bash with friends that didn't make it and watch it again to re-live the happy memories.




Watch live streaming video from rocknrollistheanswer at livestream.com
*Live Stream viewing available for the next week.

 I also had an awesome friend "Photo Man" Miguel taking high res pictures during the bash, he got way into the music and was one of the few people dancing. Photos coming soon! Pretty much the whole time I was running around like a crazy person and didn't get to enjoy the fruits of my labor as much as I should have. That's probably the biggest lesson I learned in all of this; don't worry too much and just enjoy it. Again, why I'm glad I did the live stream. Not to mention, I find it interesting to people watch. I mentioned several times we were live, but everybody seemed to forget (and new guests just missed the message). Next time around having a sign will be a big help to everyone.

 The turn out was good, and it was rad to see so many people I love in one building at the same time. It feels good as well to have friends and neighbors that believe in you. I got to stuff my face with sweets, listen to the best music, make art, sell art, and then go home and have a drink of Jack Daniels for my birthday. It was a great day, and I learned a lot about throwing this event for what I call my baby, Bite-the-dust.com.

Check out the present I got from Steve and his wife Emily!

 THANK YOU to everyone who came out and tuned in. Thanks to the people who helped me move my merch and set up, thanks to the bands who played Emily Jayne and The Jean Genies, you both have a special place in my rock n roll heart. Thanks Laurie and Jon Jon from The Grease Diner for being open and accommodating for my event. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What happened to Hot Topic?

You got it wrong. It goes 'sex, drugs and rock n roll'  Hot Topic emerged when I was just starting my Freshman year in high school. Growing up in suburbia sucked for a lot of reasons. One big reason being that there really were not any record stores, rock t-shirt shops or head shops in the area. I actually made my own rock t shirts for years, using stencils to spell out things like "The Beatles" and t-shirt iron-ons. You had to get creative and in many ways it was teenage DIY at it's best.  I was introduced to Hot Topic the same way every bored suburban kid did...by going to the mall. When you live in the suburbs, all there really is to do is to visit the mall. And I did a lot of that in my youth. When I discovered Hot Topic I was pretty pleased and I could finally find shirts that said "Blondie" or "The Ramones" on it and I didn't have to make it myself. I was excited to find a store that sold so much of what I liked.  Not long

Music posers

Ever see a girl in a rock t shirt who just doesn't look like she knows who they are? Have you ever been out in public, and spotted a person wearing a rock and roll t-shirt? Every time I do, which is if they're 12 feet or less away, I have to say something about it. That something would be "Yay! I love (insert band)! What's your favorite album?" Well, sometimes when I ask that question, I get a response I don't expect... *Blank expression* "I'm not really a fan of (insert band), I just like the shirt." My heart sinks. And then I want to punch them. This happened just yesterday. I was visiting my local pot club ( Berkeley Patients Group , woop woop) and I immediately spotted a girl wearing a Beatles shirt. I shouldn't even have to inform you how much I love rock music, so I can't help but mention it. I also feel like this is an obvious potential friend! I said to her "Yea the Beatles rock! Niiice!" And sh

We need to talk about this: The Foo Fighters are "AIDS denialists"

Preface: I am a fan of the Foo Fighters' music, so this isn't intended to be a hit piece. I genuinely feel troubled by what I'm about to share with you in this blog entry. I had no idea about this until just days ago.  Recently I saw a video that addressed celebrities with controversial beliefs. The one that stood out to me was Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters being "AIDS denialists" (which I didn't even know was a thing?) aka "HIV Truthers". I immediately had to look into this because it sounded just too crazy to be real (and you should ALWAYS be skeptical of things you hear and do. your. research.) An article that I felt was very thorough on the topic was " Foo Fighters, HIV Deniers " "Maggiore’s message has apparently penetrated the minds of at least some Foo aficionados. She says she has heard from many Foo fans since the show — one of whom, she says, now works at the Alive and Well office.  “AIDS is a toxic disease caused